Latest social media statistics that you should know as of 2021
Are you up to date with the latest social media statistics?
As more people and businesses share information about themselves on social networks, the amount of data will only increase. Knowing these are a great way to learn and get an understanding of how these platforms are performing.
In this blog, you will find statistics of some of the widely used social media platforms. I hope you find them helpful.
In July 2021, according to the most recent figures, there were 4.48 billion social media users worldwide accounting for about 57% of the total global population.
Facebook, the most popular social media platform, was the first to cross one billion registered accounts. Therefore being named as the Market Leader is no surprise.
Based on global reach and total active users, it is the largest social networking service.
- Monthly active users: 2.89 billion.
- Around 1.908 billion people use Facebook each day.
- Top 5 countries having the highest number of Facebook users:
- As of the 2nd quarter of 2021, the number of daily active Facebook users worldwide is 1.9 billion.
- As of July 2021, Facebook users throughout the world were using the following devices:
Any type of mobile - 98.5%
Laptop or desktop - 1.5%
- Highest users worldwide by gender:
Female - 43.6%
Male - 56.4%
- Highest users worldwide by age:
Female & Male between 25 - 34
- Average time spent per day - 38 minutes
- The potential audience that can be reached using Ads - 2.25 billion.
- Per Facebook post, the average engagement rate is 0.27%.
Source: Statista, DataReportal, Sprout Social
Ranked 4th, Instagram is another popular social networking site. Due to the high competition, it is evolving and has recently announced that it is no longer a photo-sharing app. Pushing video content using Reels, IGTV, and stories is its main focus.
- Monthly active users: 1.386 billion.
- Top 5 countries having the highest number of Instagram users:
- Instagram has 500 million daily active users throughout the world.
- Highest users worldwide by gender:
Female - 51.4%
Male - 48.6%
- Highest users worldwide by age group between 25 - 34
- Average time spent per day - 29 minutes.
- The average engagement rate for all types of posts on a business account is 0.82%.
- The potential audience that can be reached using Ads - 1.39 billion.
- Every month there are 130 million accounts that tap on shopping posts to discover more about products.
- According to 81% of respondents, Instagram helps them research products and service.
Source: Statista, Datareportal, Sprout Social, Business Instagram, Backlinko
An underrated social media platform that you can use to increase traffic to your website. It is the 14th largest social network in the world.
- Monthly active users: 454 million.
- Top 5 countries having the highest number of Pinterest users:
- Pinterest Worldwide users by gender:
Female - 77.1%
Male - 14.9%
- Average time spent per day: 14.2 minutes.
- The potential audience that can be reached using Ads - 223.3 million.
- Unbranded searches account for 97% of top Pinterest searches.
- Pinterest is where 85 percent of Pinners go to start a new project.
- 80% of weekly Pinners have discovered a new brand or product.
- 240 billion pins are saved by pinners.
- The number of monthly boards created increased by 35% year over year.
Source: Statista, DataReportal, Social Sprout, Pinterest
Up next on the list of the latest social media statistics you need to know is Twitter. This platform allows you to send out short messages consisting of 280 characters known as tweets.
- Monthly active users: 397 million
- Top 5 countries having the highest number of Twitter users:
- 192 million daily active users.
- Twitter worldwide users by gender:
Female - 31.9%
Male - 68.1
- Highest users worldwide by age group between 18 - 24.
- Average time spent per day: 3.39 minutes per session.
- The potential audience that can be reached using Ads - 396.5 million.
- 59% of people use Twitter to get regular news.
- In the coming year, 53% of marketers plan to increase their use of Twitter.
Source: Statista, DataReportal, Social Sprout, Hootsuite
LinkedIn is the world's largest professional network. This type of social network is made for the business community.
- 774 million users in over 200 countries and territories.
- Top 5 countries having the highest number of Linkedin users:
- Twitter worldwide users by gender:
Female - 43.1%
Male - 56.9%
- Highest users worldwide by age group between 25 - 34.
- The potential audience that can be reached using Ads - 768.2 million.
- Candidates with a LinkedIn profile are 71% more likely to receive a callback for a job interview than those without one.
- No. of people hired every minute on LinkedIn - 4
- 40 million people use LinkedIn to look for work every week.
- Companies listed - 57 million.
- The 2nd most popular platform among B2B marketers is LinkedIn.
- 57% of LinkedIn traffic are from mobile devices.
Source: LinkedIn, Statista, Oberlo, DataReportal, Sprout Social
This is the 2nd most popular social media and biggest online video platform worldwide. Users can watch, like, share, comment on, and upload their own videos on this video-sharing service.
- Active users: 2.291 billion
- Top 5 countries having the highest number of Youtube users:
- Youtube worldwide users by gender:
Female - 44%
Male - 56%
- YouTube is most popular among persons between the ages of 15 and 35.
- Average time spent per day: 41.9 minutes.
- The potential audience that can be reached using Ads - 2.29 billion.
- Every minute, the number of hours uploaded to YouTube is 500.
- 1 billion hours of video are being watched on the platform every day.
- Over 100 countries have localized Youtube.
- According to statistics, 62% of businesses use YouTube to post video content.
Source: Statista, Oberlo, DataReportal, Sprout Social, Hootsuite
Tik Tok Statistics
Originally known as Musical.ly and rebranded as Tik Tok. The popularity of Tik Tok is rising daily and becoming a major competitor in the video-sharing world. It is a great platform that is aimed at content creators.
- Monthly active users: 689 million.
- Average time spent per day: 52 minutes.
- The TikTok app is currently available in 155 countries in 75 different languages.
- As of December 2020, TikTok had 6 billion lifetime downloads on the iOS App Store and Google Play.
- 41% of Tik Tok users are between 16 and 24 years of age.
- TikTok is the 7th most popular social media platform.
- 2nd biggest app in terms of customer spending.
- TikTok videos shot vertically have a 25% greater watch-through rate.
Source: Statista, Sprout Social, Apptrace, Hootsuite, Business of Apps, Gwi, TechJury
Social networking sites are predicted to reach 3.96 billion users by 2022. The numbers are expected to rise as mobile device usage and mobile social networks gain popularity in previously untapped markets.
Each platform caters to a unique audience. To be successful in your strategies and to attract your desired audience, you need to create relevant content that caters to them.
By knowing some of the social media statistics, it will help you in creating the right strategies for your business.
Need help in managing all of your social media profiles? Let us take care of that for you. Get on a discovery call with us right now.
We’re a team of Social Media experts specialising in Social Media Marketing, Management & branding. Our aim is to provide an expert social media manager to every small and growing business. Get to know more about what we do by clicking the button below